Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Worries

I put Ares to bed last night.  As usual, I talked to Mousie (or, as the last week has gone, "Ballpark".  Because apparently one evening, Mousie and Ballpark switched names.)  We put him to bed really early, because he got out of his bath early, so I talked to Mousie for about 10 minutes.  What he did that day, what the plans were for the next day, and, since we haven't been to Cincinnati in a while, I expanded into Friday, and what we were going to be doing on that day.    This entire time, he's complaining that he's hungry.  Never mind he had a yogurt, a piece of chocolate, a sucker two glasses of juice and a HUGE plate of fettichine Alfredo for dinner.   He must have cried, whined and complained 8 times that he was still hungry. He didn't want water, but I told him he was done eating until the morning.  I told him he makes me very happy, and he responds "You make me happy too *deep breath*  but you know what else would make me happy?  Some food."     Bwaahahaha.  Sly little guy.  I told him he can decide what he wants to eat for breakfast and tell me in the morning.

We did our 'family hug', got tons of hugs and kisses (and, of course, returned the hugs and kisses) and I got up to leave.   "Mom?".   "Yes Ares?"  "What about those kids who died?  The ones with blood on their shirts?"  *sigh, sitting back down*    All he knows is 40 seconds of the news and a brief 2 minute conversation with me (which was more of me reassuring him that we are around to protect him).   Why must a three year old not forget things like this?  When will he stop thinking about it?  How will I know if he is thinking about it? He only says something every few days. 

"Well, kid, you know how you love school because you get to play with your friends all day?" 
"Mmmhmm - I like to play with Colt and Davis and Lukas and Kenny."
"Well, all of these kids are in Heaven with their friends.  It's like they're in school all day long, and they get to play all day long."  (Why did I pull out the Heaven card?  Beats me.  I'm not even sure that I believe, but it just seemed easier at the time.  If he wants to believe, then that's great.  The kid can believe in whatever religion he chooses.)
"What's Heaven?"    (I should have known that would come next.  Me, PSR/CCD drop out should not be the one to explain these things.)
"Well, it's a place where people go when they die."
"What about the bad guy." 
"Oh, no, not bad guys.  That bad guy does NOT get to go to Heaven.  He will never be by kids again."
"Yeah, because he's bad.   But that is so far away mommy."
"Yes, baby, it is so far away.  Mommy and Daddy are here to make sure you stay safe."
"And Ballpark"
"Yes, and Ballpark."   (Although, I have no idea if he means Ballpark or Mousie.)
"And Mousie"
"Yes, Ares, and Mousie"
"And Grandma and Grandpa"
"Yes, kid, now stop worrying and go to sleep."  *as I walk away*
"OK mommy, I love you, can I have another kiss and hug?"
"Anytime"

Fast forward to this morning.  Ares wakes up, and says "I've decided what I wanted for breakfast.  Raisin bread with butter and yogurt."  Glad that's what he thought about last night. 

No comments: