Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Radio IS Off!

I just realized, I'm one of those bloggers, who checks other peoples' blogs a few times a day, to see if they've updated (even if they already have) but fails to update my own blog.

I just have nothing interesting going on, and that last post was so funny, I think everyone should read it again.  I mean, really?  Putting something in your nose expecting it to come out of your ear?!  Only a three year old.  That's why I haven't updated in a few days - yeah, so you can all read that funny post a few times while looking for a new post.

Random (fairly usual) morning in the Miller household:
This morning, Ares wakes up, and runs downstairs, Adam and I were both still in bed, and we thought we'd try and sleep a little bit longer.  He runs back upstairs (slightly worried) whispering "mommy?  are you upstairs?"  So we told him we were still in bed, and he happily jumps up and joins us.  He says that he slept well, and he dreamt about 'staying home today', and then asked for a banana because he and Adam had talked about breakfast, last night.   I told him he has to wait for everyone to go downstairs. 

Ares: But it's time now!  I looked at my clock, the "7" is on the left!  It's wake up time!
Me: The seven means that you can get up, but you don't have to. You can sleep past the 7 if you want to. (It was about 7:25, the alarm was set for 7:30).    Why don't you go downstairs and see if you can get the banana by yourself.   (Note, he's not allowed out of bed until 7AM, fortunately he's usually sleeping well past then.)
Ares: I can't reach
Me: Grab a chair.
**Off he goes downstairs, we hear the scraping of a chair (maybe 1", not far) and then him running upstairs again to crawl into our bed.** (7:26)
Ares: I can't reach it, I'll wait for you.
Me: OK, well, daddy and I are going to sleep until you hear the radio go off.  So be quiet until then.
Ares:  OK....... 
Ares: But mom, the radio isn't on, how can it go off?  (7:27)
Me: It hasn't gone off.... I mean, you need to wait for the radio to come on, then it's time for everyone to get up.
Ares:  OK....
**hitting himself in the ear over and over**
Me:  OMG, what are you doing?
Ares: I'm making sounds in my ears.
Me: Lay down, and please be quiet.  For two minutes, until you  hear the alarm go off.  (7:28)
Ares:  Okay.  
**I close my eyes**
**Something keeps banging into my side**
Me: *eyes still closed** Ares, what are you doing?  (7:29)
Ares: I'm clapping my feet.  See, I have socks on, so it's quiet, I'm not making any noise.
**Feet clapping continues**
Me: Ares, stop clapping!  Stop moving, close your eyes, be quiet.
Ares: Hey, I hear music!  Time for everyone to get up!

That all being said - I'm SOOOOO grateful that this all happens after 7, and not around 5 when many-a-toddlers wake up.  Ares has never been a morning person.  It's only gotten better since he's started to understand how a clock and numbers work. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds exactly like Gianna when we ask her to lay in bed and let us sleep longer, it lasts about 5 minutes and she talks and moves the whole time!

Athena said...

LOL, sounds like our kids are very similar - in many ways.

I just find it funny that he talked, then I asked him not to, and then he made noise, and then I asked him not to, and then he was 'silent'. So in his mind, he was completely following directions.
Kids. Just have to laugh.

Anonymous said...

Yup I do the same thing "Gianna can you lay quietly no talking?" "Ok Mommy *pause for 2 second* blah blah blah blah" lol They have no concept of time I guess......at least we never had to worry about her wanting to sleep with us and having that bad habit