Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Monday, January 7, 2013

A Rough Couple of Days

These past few days have been awesome and terrible at the same time.   The news of our pregnancy is out! Hooray! But I can't post the fun way we told family on the blog, because I am unable to upload pictures right now. Booo!

Ares has been very odd lately.  He's had a few bruises last week, but nothing really to call home about.  Then, his teacher was telling me about some bruises on his arm.  I assumed she was talking about the ones I had seen previously, but when I got home, she was definitely talking about 4 fingers that looked like he was grabbed.  You could tell exactly where the fingers started and stopped.  I put my hand on it to see if it were a child's or adults.  My hands are tiny, (I wear a size XS women's glove), and it's definitely a child's hand.  Is it possible, with a 3.5 year old to have a kid grab you that hard, but not tattle?  I don't think so.  He doesn't remember it happening.  Then, yesterday morning, he woke up with a half dollar sized bruise just above his hip.   Same thing, he has no idea where he got it.  These bruises are added to the typical forearm and shin bruises that he seems to always have (from crawling around, up stairs, jumping off of couches, etc)

He's eating normal, and sleeping normal, but MAN, he sure is not acting normal.  He's been so defiant lately.  He'll argue any little point, 'no, the sun is green, not yellow', yell at us 'mom, you're not listening to me!', not listen to us, and just be mean.   We went to dinner with Davis, Devon and Darah Saturday  night (our fault for skipping his nap due to some birthday parties), but we had to take him outside for a talk twice, once I took him to the ladies room to give him a good talking to, and still, he was acting terrible.  He was so mean to Davis, even when Davis would be nice back.  He was always wanting to switch seats, crying a lot, not sharing, wanting other people's stuff, then when he gets it, not wanting it and throwing it back, running around the restaurant, being loud, crying a lot (I know I've said that once already, but man).  If we weren't with other people, we'd have taken the food to go.  It was so embarrassing.  The sushi was fabulous, but I didn't enjoy the meal AT.ALL. Nothing like spending $100 on dinner and not enjoying a single minute of it.   We've never been that family in the restaurant.  He is usually SOO well behaved.  It.was.terrible.

And last but not least in this post that has totally changed from what I was originally talking about - Adam.  Oh. Em. Gee.  If this guy doesn't get a job that he likes, he's going to self destruct.  It's already starting to happen, it's terrible, it's awful, it's bad.  It's getting to the point of where he was while he was teaching, except, now we have me (a preggo who has the patience of dog who just saw a squirrel) and Ares, who doesn't understand why daddy is almost always in a bad mood.

Hopefully this week is easier- but I know better.  Adam works until 8PM Wednesday night and Thursday night.  Rather than being scheduled for 40 hours a week, they're scheduled for 43 hours a week.  It's fabulous, not only does he hate his job, but he skips lunch (so add an extra 5 hours), works at home on nights and weekends, and is in the office for 48 hours a week.  Put together a resume?  Oh no, don't even think to bring it up, because 'I have no marketable skills'.   Nothing like a Claims department to tear you down so you never leave.  At least the military builds you up after they tear you down.  (No, he's not the only person feeling this way.  The entire state of Ohio is about to revolt, including the managers with their new 'Pilot Program' that the company has no plans to end.   

So here's to a more manageable week for everyone!  Phew - I need a nap, *grin*.

4 comments:

G'pa Doug said...

Hmmm.... You said "These past few days have been awesome and terrible.." Where is the awesome?? I mean, other than the big anouncement getting out. If you like we can take Ares out to breakfast (with maybe Diana and Dave) and maybe to the park on Saturday morning??? Maybe give you a little break as you prepare for the Luau!

Athena said...

Yes, that was the awesome - no more secrets. That, and maybe the fact that I got the indoor Christmas stuff down (not quite away yet) and a nap or two in.

Adam works late today, Wed and Thursday (who knows about the other days as we just found out about working late today at 3:30.) We won't get to grocery shop until Saturday morning, so feel free to take him anywhere you want, AS LONG AS HE GETS A GOOD NAP IN - STARTING NO LATER THAN 2PM.

G'pa Doug said...

OK,OK :) you don't have to yell (or is that your way of saying just make sure he gets his nap on time :) )
Whatever works for you and Adam, we'll be glad to take him or all of you! Just because you're awesome! And this coming from someone who knows about awesomeness!! :)

Athena said...

Haha, not yelling, he just needs a nap. There's a dinosaur exhibit about an hour away that he might like, if you need something to do.

Adam wants to see Diana and Dave too, though, so I might just do the grocery shopping by myself. At this point, whatever makes Adam happy, I'm doing.