Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

First Baby Project!

We're using the same bedding and stuff for the baby that we did with Ares (brown and white circles, dots and doggies) so I've decided to add some orange and teal to that.  I think I'm going to paint the walls a medium tan color, keep the decorations we had from Ares (brown and white) and use orange as an accent in curtains and other wall hangings.  The teal will be brought in in two places: 1) I'm painting an ugly dresser that we have the teal color and 2) I'll make a sign or painting or two with the color incorporated.

So:  My first project was!  Curtains!  I haven't purchased the paint yet, but Adam and I got the tape ready.  After reading a handful of blogs, I've learned that using wall paint on fabric works just fine.  I've done it on canvas before with no issues, as well as on my fake canvas on shoe box lids and nothing bled, so hopefully we can have success with this project too.  I can't wait to buy the paint!!

We started with two panels that were 84x40"  We split each panel into three sections using painters tape.  Each panel was 12 3/4 wide (center of tape to center of tape)
 
 Then we marked 14" (84/6) down the side, the tape and the other side and started the diagonal lines doing inside, outside, inside, outside (accounting for the width of the tape on the panels we're not painting).  So while in the picture, some look wider than the others, once the tape is off, it'll all be the same width.

Adam then used scissors to cut the corners clean inside the parts that we were painting.  I think this was the most tedious part of the project.  Enter "You are the greatest husband in the world.  Thanks for putting up with my  - 'Let's go out and buy curtains NOW and then after we put Ares to bed start my project.  Yes, TONIGHT even though we work tomorrow.' craziness".  Best. Husband. Ever!

Just waiting for paint!  I've picked the color, just haven't purchased it yet.  Hopefully a quart  of paint will be sufficient.  I'm not a painting pro, I love the end results (normally, not in my kitchen), but I just don't do it often enough.  That damned full-time-job - show-me-the-money issue.
The chevrons that are open will be painted.  We didn't bother removing
the vertical lines from the parts that will be staying white.  We're lazy exhausted.  

No comments: