Yesterday was Ares' first time at the Young Explorers Montessori School (can you hear the cha-ching sounds?? LOL). I had to go in for some paperwork and an short orientation, so Ares got to play in his room. ("Play" consists of sitting in a bouncer and swing.) This is because he fell asleep in the swing, lol. We were only there for about an hour and a half. When I got back to pick him up, many of the teachers had been there to hold him. I guess the next youngest in the center is 7 months old (and she's HUGE) and a few 10-12 month olds. Ares is literally half the size of all the girls there (no boys yet), so everyone wants to see him. I'm sure the fact that he was all smiles when he was awake doesn't hurt either.
We went back this morning, because tuition includes 2 hours of care before the actual start date. I thought I'd take advantage of that to get some things done around the house, and to get him ready for the noon Indians game today =) More later!
4 comments:
What's the teacher to infant ratio there? How many infants did they have in their infant room? How many teachers? Did the teachers look like they were jaded?
After working in day care for seven years, I don't trust it. If ever I have to put my own children in day care (when I have children, that is), I'll be hunting high and low for a facility that is not at all like what I've had to work in.
Sarah
I love this place! We looked at a handful of daycares, this is the only one I not only felt comfortable at, but trusted and really liked it. They do the normal 1:5 2:12 ratio, although they only allow 10 infants (up to 12 mo) in the program. Every time I've just dropped by, there have never been more than 4 kids there.
Every teacher there has at least a 4 year college degree in Education. Even the infant teachers have their Education degrees.
They also do anything we want to. If we feed them holding a certain way, they will do that, if we want to ween from the pacifier, or sucking fingers or teach them baby sign language, they will work on that as well with the children. They have Spanish class, music class, and dance class all at the school as well (when they're a couple years old) and they also start teaching Phonics at the school with the kids are 2 or 3 years old.
I feel as if I'm paying A LOT for daycare, but I'm paying for a piece of mind knowing I trust and like the place where they're at. And they DO NOT prop the bottle! hehe.
I hope you would "shop" around for the best place when it's time Sarah! We certainly did!
*grins* That sounds like an awesome place. I'm glad you're happy there! It certainly sounds like it is more of an attractive place than some of the places I've worked in. I think more day cares should be like that than just the typical "watch your kid(s) for a day" type place.
I'm horribly disappointed in the place I'm working at now. It used to be a really fantastic place that the parents loved, but our last director and our current director have been chasing off the parents by shoving in more kids and making it a crazy place.
Just a random thought, though ... isn't the ratio for infants 1:4?
Yeh, I think you're right, now that I research it, 1:4. I'll look into that, thanks!
Post a Comment