Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Monday, September 17, 2012

A Nice 50k

Not 50k as in $50k (although, an extra $50k would be nice to have), or 50k as a typical daily bicycle ride for Adam, this is a 50k as in an ULTRA marathon - 31 miles.  Why would someone want to do something like this?  They're crazy.  Never saying no to a challenge, they all admit they are not right in the head.  At least they realize it. 

Aaron wanted to organize a 50k to celebrate his 30th birthday.   He put the route together to look like a flower or clover, with many legs of the race all starting and stopping in one central location.  This was to minimize the number of water places needing to be set up.  (Genius!)

The morning started off cold.  Around 45*, maybe a little warmer, not much.  Everyone started off with hats, gloves, long sleeves and some running headlamps, as it was a trail run and still dark out.  Ares and I got everyone ready, and then drove to the first water spot to set up the food, water, Gatorade, Kleenex/wipes station.  They  hit that station at mile 4 and at mile 9.   After the last person (of 6) hit that station, I drove to the central start/stop place to set up again.  There, the group got all of their food and water.
After the first 13 miles. The runners started taking off their
hats/jackets/pants as the weather was warming up.
Each time they made it to the end of the route, they'd wait for the others before they'd start the next portion.  Some parts of the run, people would join them for a leg or two - not doing the entire 50k, but portions of it.   This is why the "Nice" was added to the title.  Adam said it was a nice leisurely pace, and an all around "FUN" run. He really enjoyed himself.  I wouldn't say that his legs didn't tighten while waiting for others to finish, or that his body didn't hurt the rest of the evening, but he got lucky in he didn't get any blisters, there were no injuries, no running until he was sick - or anything.   Darah (Davis' mom) ran the entire thing too, along with one of Aaron's friends James. 

The four 50k finishers Adam, James, Darah and Aaron, the birthday boy (sitting).
Ares stayed with me from 5 AM until about 10:30, when my mom picked him up. I feel bad for complaining after all these guys did, but I had stood for 9 hours, a lot of that organizing, cleaning and playing with Ares, that my body hurt after the day was over too! I can only imagine what these guys felt like.
I did get a second away from playing with my designated
matchbox car to take a picture of him before he left.

I'm so happy that Adam was able to not only finish (yes, he was worried, no, I never was) and that he enjoyed himself.  Not so happy that Adam now has two more friends who are crazy and want to do lots more of these crazy stunts (not necessarily 50k's).  Ah well, to each their own. 

No comments: