Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Potty Training Atlas - Mom and Dad's 60th

So you all know what a *ahem* stubborn child Atlas can be.  I decided on Wednesday (his 3rd birthday), that I was going to take Friday off, and potty train Atlas.  We need a full 3 days, with no plans (OK, so my parents' 60th birthday party was Saturday night, and we had company coming in on Sunday), but compared to the next 8 weeks planned, that was nothing.  So it was now or never.  


Thursday after daycare we were going to start, except I forgot that Ares had soccer practice.  (Where I stepped on a bee, reminder, it hurts, a lot, and if the kids are stung, give them more attention than a 'suck it up' I probably would have done if I hadn't just experienced it myself.)   So we got home from daycare, and just put him in underwear and hoped and prayed he'd stay dry.   He did.  He also went to bed with a slight fever, but we had him throw away his diapers anyhow.


Friday - !   The big day!! Atlas woke up with a 103* fever.  It was a battle inside my head.  Do we grab the diapers and potty train another time, or do we just go at it?   I decided that if I pulled the diapers out, he'd always think we could do that, so I pumped him full of Tylenol (the recommended amount) and we started.  This kid.  THIS KID!  He was soo ready.  He had 2 accidents, 2 made it to the bathroom but not to the toilet and a few tiny dribbles. A 2nd night dry, waking up once to go at 4am (well, he woke up crying, and we assumed that he had to go.) 

Saturday -: Great day, 1 accident when at a party and he was waaay too far from a bathroom. Made it to the bathroom but that's about it - needs to start practicing his sprints. In his defense, it was during my parents' 60th birthday party, where there were tons of distractions.  He was dry again at night. But he seems to forget how to sleep through the night.  He woke up crying multiple times, but never had to go potty.  In fact, he didn't go potty until about an hour after he woke up (I think he was just being stubborn, because we told him everyone goes to the bathroom right after waking up.) 


Sunday: 1 accident (again, that sprinting issue). 1 dribble.   The accident happened when he was in the basement with Davis and Ares playing (Darah, Davis and Danica came up on Sunday to hang out, on their way to Pittsburgh) It was awesome seeing them, and Atlas had done such a great job, that we even went out to dinner.  He went to the bathroom there, too!
 
No gross accidents. I'd say it was a compete success and that after 1 day he was fine. His school really helped get him ready.  I am absolutely shocked, at what an awesome weekend we had.  His fever broke Saturday, late morning.  Even with the fever, the kid wants to play, laugh, and just have fun, which we did. 


A mustache like Grandpa Doug!
 
 


He did so well, we didn't mind him sitting on our laps!
Pump him full of liquids, keep him close to a potty.
 

Love this kid!
Break during mom & dad's 60th party
 
 
The cake was done by Sweets by Christine. 
I found the cake picture online, and she replicated it. Perfectly.

That's a cake.  A cake!!!  it was ALL edible (except for the wires that the little planes were flying on)

Cookies - they even tasted good

My mom (purple) with her (L to R) Mother in law, Mom and Step Mom.  We are SOO grateful to have them all in our lives!

You'd have never known these two hadn't seen each other in months.

No comments: