Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Clock Parts & Sainthood




This seriously took us 5 hours to put up.   Not easy, thanks to the vinyl  

I bought the clock parts for about $27.  It was cheap because I bought 6 of them, and found a free shipping coupon.    It came with the cheapest frames ever, (and by 'frames' I mean 12 thick cardboard pieces to tape the picture to!)   My mom is a rock-star though, and she bought me TONS of frames for Christmas.  15 of them, all identical for projects like this =)   Thanks Ma!   The pictures in the frames are 5x7, so overall, this is nearly 4 feet across. 

Hanging this was a pain in the butt.  For some reason, my analyst brain could not wrap around how to get the frames (4 horizontal, 8 vertical) to look like a circle when hanging up. Sequential analysis and distribution reports, no problem, square frames in a circle pattern - doh!  We started hanging the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock frames 14" from the center of the clock.  (we measured from the part of the frame closest to the center - not from the center of the frame).     This would have been the right way to do it had the frames been square.    Also, when figuring out where you want the frame, don't forget to calculate how far down the frame the nail goes.  Once we  had placement, we had to measure 3/4" to 1 1/4" down, because even though every frame was identical, the hangie thingies were in different spots on the back.  Fortunately, my hubbie already had that calculated in when we started hanging. Good job babydoll! 

We then started with the 7 and 8 o'clock frames because we wouldn't have to stand on a ladder.  Once those were in place, the rest would just be measure and place, because it all needs to be symmetrical.   For the 7/8 o'clock frames, because they were vertical instead of horizontal, I could not figure out a calculation easily.  We ended up just eye-balling it.   This is where my husband was a saint.  I must have moved the place where I wanted the frames 20 times - and I would only move them a millimeter away.  At least we didn't put holes in the wall each time though! 

Then, for the other three quarters of the clock, everything was very simple to do.  If you look at the picture, I probably should have measured the 12 and 6 differently (farther away from the center) but I believe keeping them in (closer) keeps the clock's size a little bit smaller. It's very large to begin with, and by moving those two only an inch or two out, makes the whole thing look MUCH bigger.   

So, in all actuality, if you came to this website to learn an  easy way to figure out how far away to hang the frames, this one probably isn't the best.   (I'm fairly certain that last sentence didn't make much sense "learn an easy way to figure out" however, I don't care.  You get what I'm trying to say.)    Maybe look at the picture/graph below?  Just follow the colors and make sure everything lines up nicely!  Don't forget about the space between where the nail will go and the top of the frame! 

The wall is a bold mustard color, so I used B&W photos.  I think if I had put it on a more neutral colored wall (not in my house) I would have gone with colored photos, but since this is in a central location in the house, the B&W photos makes it look a lot less busy.  

THE VINYL:
I used my Silhouette Cameo and printed out the saying myself.  That part was simple once I figured out the right size and played around (for an hour) to figure out which font would look best.  I made the print (Spent with family) 17" long, total, and about 3" high. This part doesn't matter, I made it to my taste.   
I printed the vinyl, and put the transfer paper on top of it to pull up the words (I did the top section first.  This is to ensure the spacing stays the same throughout).   LIKE THIS: Skip to the 2 minute marker. 
 The hard part was that my transfer paper was MUCH stickier than the vinyl, so the vinyl didn't want to stay on the walls, it wanted to stay on the transfer paper.   That meant I had to go millimeter by millimeter of pulling transfer paper and pushing the vinyl on the wall with my finger - or a plastic tool.   The bottom part of the saying I used contact paper rather than transfer paper, which worked better, because it wasn't as sticky, but it was still a hassle.  I think next time I'll try the contact paper, but first rub it on the carpet so it gets a little fuzzy and then put the vinyl on it. I've got time to figure it out, but not much time, as my mom wants me to do one for her.    I'm really happy with how this turned out though.  Another Pinterest success!  haha!




No comments: