Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dr's Appt

Friday we had a Dr's appointment for Atlas, because he's been extremely constipated.  Poor kid.  Now, if he's crying we certainly know why.  Unfortunately, he'd been crying quite a bit without this issue too.  It appears the sensitive formula isn't all it was cracked up to be.  He was a lot more pleasant during the day (he even smiles now in the morning!) but once 2:30 comes, the crying spawn of Satan (me?) comes back.
Is this not a great pic? My boys love each other so much.
First thing - at the doctors office, this beast of a child weighed in a 12 lbs 1.5 oz.  Holy big baby Batman! This is 1.5 lbs heavier than Ares was at his 2 month appt, and Atlas is only (almost) 7 weeks!!  He also measures in at 22.5", which is also pretty long.   I recall Ares eating a lot of food too, and worrying about his intake, but at least that little guy had Adan's metabolism.  On the plus side, Atlas has those little rolls on his arms and legs and cheeks that make you just want to eat him up! It's so cute, and Ares, unfortunately, never had those.  I'm totally loving it!

Unfortunately, those fat rolls hold the worlds. most. awful. smelling. formula.  Yes, we've changed formula's now.  This kid is on the Nutramigen by Enfamil now.  It's the super expensive, non-dairy, non-soy stuff.  Super expensive, as in we were paying close to $13 a canister for the sensitive stuff, and now we're paying $36 a canister.  One can will last us 4 days. 4 days!   So far it has only made his spit up projectile.  Yay.

I've done some calculations - assuming that this kid continues to drink the same amount until he's 1 year old, (52 weeks - 7 weeks) * 7 days in a week  / 4 days a canister  = $2,835 in formula.  Woohoo.  However, I'm trying to go on a dairy free diet to combat this.   It's nearly impossible to eat out while going dairy free.  This might be a good thing for me.  I still haven't lost 1/3 of the weight I've gained, so maybe now that I can't have any butter or cheese or milk.  This means no Starbucks, no cookies, cakes, some breads are off limits (not bagels, but then, I can't put cream cheese or butter on the bagels either)  I'm not sure if I have to keep eggs off limits or not.  I haven't been, because that's a different allergy altogether, if that's the case, i'm really in trouble, because with egg, I can have mayo things - which means chicken salad and ritz crackers are totally acceptable, and turkey sandwiches with mayo and stuff.

We'll see how this goes!  At least I have my kid's beautiful smile now!  It makes this parenting thing so much better!


No comments: