Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Asher Update

Is this not the cutest picture ever?  His parents captioned it with "I come from the future."
Just a quick update on Asher, his vision test went pretty well which is a relief, however, the EEG/MRI didn't go so well.  He has now been diagnosed moderately to severe disabled, known by some malfunction or malformation of some brain matter.  I am partly devastated for his parents, but just a few days ago (before Asher was born) I witnessed a severely disabled child (mentally and physically) at Great Clips, where Ares was getting his hair cut.  It completely changed my ideals on how life may be with a disabled child.
 
Ares didn't treat him any differently than any other kid, wasn't afraid and didn't make any comments.   What I was moved by, though, is that this child's mom treated him no differently than I treat Ares.  She still talked to him normally (he kind of understood 'look down', 'sit still', although, his body didn't always cooperate) and let him hold matchbox cars (he didn't know what to do with them, he just held) and he sat as still as possible when she read him a book.  While it likely took longer for her to get him ready in the morning and for the car trip, they were a perfectly 'normal' family.  So while I mourn with them for what 'could have been', I will be excited with them for all of the milestones that Asher will hit, when they are hit.

No comments: