Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

And so the adventure begins

Welcome to the Miller Family blog. No one is going to read this for a while, as I'm not going to actually let anyone know I have a blog for a few more weeks (or months), but I figured I'd type my thoughts as I go. I hope that this is the longest entry as I am feeling long winded tonight.
We've done Spain (including Ibiza), France, Italy, Monaco, The Vatican, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, China (including Hong Kong), and Japan together as a couple.

We have decided that we're going to spend our gainshare money (that we won't get until December, and that's if we actually get it this year) and go to India. We figure, we'll never have another opportunity to be so immersed in culture as going to a Hindu wedding in India.

One of my classmates is getting married this winter, and I am so excited for her. Dia is one of the sweetest people around, and I cannot wait until Adam gets to meet her. I've been asking her questions about her wedding and how she can plan for something that is so far away, and she's been more than gracious in helping me understand her culture. I'm not sure if it was to get me to shut up, or that she really would like our company (two of 800 people at the wedding) but she told us we were invited.
At first I just wished that we could go, but then decided that this is a very exciting opportunity, plus I'd love to see Dia again, as this is our last class together. We call it a once in a lifetime opportunity.

AND COMES THE EXCITING PART

The day before we planned on buying the plane tickets, I decided to test for pregnancy as we have not been preventing. I checked 2 days earlier than I should have, and it was positive. At first we were nervous, but just a little, thinking we'd have to cancel our trip. Later that day, we rode our bicycles 52 miles to Sandusky, and I felt fine. I figure, I can't be pregnant, it must be the false positive results that were common. I mean, there was only a 78% chance that the test was accurate because I checked early. So two days later I decided to check again.... Yup, it's true, I am pregnant. I am 4.5 weeks right now, so it's too early to really tell anyone in the event something terrible happens. This is extremely difficult as I normally tell my mother everything.

At first we were excited about going to India, but disappointed about having to put off our family life for another half year, then we were excited that we'll be starting a family, and will make it to India after the little one(s) graduate from college (ugh, how are we ever going to afford Oxford?!?). Now that we know we can do both, this is the best thing I can imagine...

YES moms and grandmas, I did immediately call the doctor, ask about India (I will be 6 mo's or 24 weeks preggo by the time we leave) and also questioned the immunizations and medications I would need. He gave me the OK to go to India. I trust his instinct as he is Indian. Now, instead of only reading web pages about India, I get to read web sites about having a baby. Never a dull moment.

No comments: