Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Sentiment

Most everyone who reads this knows me very well. I'm not typically sentimental.  I try to be funny, I am often sarcastic, and sometimes I can be judgemental.   I apologize, this ended up being longer than I had first anticipated.

Our family lost an important member this past week.  My dad's cousin Terry has been sick with multiple cancers and other ailments for the better part of the last 10-15 years.  His wife stopped caring for him, (aside from his $$), so my grandparents 'adopted' him.  He was a funny guy, an amazing athlete, and an overall great person.   We are upset that the family found out via a rumor, and his wife would not talk to any of his family, but are happy that Terry is now in a better place.  He will be greatly missed by all of us - and that is the truth. 
After dinner last night (Christmas night) my aunt and I were putting left overs into Styrofoam containers, I was trying to figure out who should get the extra piece of ham, and came to the realization of how lucky our family really is. (And by 'our', I mean both my and Adam's sides of the family.)  
We are all, for the most part, healthy (apart from the surgery here and there due to previous athletic injuries), everyone lives in large houses  (my house is by no means the biggest in the family), and we have a lot of family around.  My son, who is 2, knows nine (9) great-grandparents.  NINE - and he sees each of them, at least a few times a year.  (Hopefully, now that Grandpa Miller 'moved' back to Cinci, we'll see him more often.)  Nine Great-Grandparents, to me that is amazing, and I am grateful that he has gotten to know them, and will hopefully, have each of them around for a bit longer.

We had a phenomenal Christmas this year.  Adam had Friday off, but not Monday, and I  had Monday off, but not Friday, so we stayed in town and celebrated with my family, but again, we're grateful to all have nice jobs, as there are so many people looking. My uncle flew up from Texas, and my Aunt, Uncle and twin cousins came up from North Carolina.  It was so nice seeing everyone again, and so nice to be able to offer our house and comfortably welcome 4 additional people and a dog stay with us for a few days. 

I went a little overboard this year, and enjoyed every bit of it.  Adam was just as bad, but more sly.  He 'just' bought me tickets to a Broadway show, but then of course, we'll have to pay for the trip to New York City, which really adds on to the total.  Sly fox.

I will post pictures of Christmas soon, hopefully over the next few days, as Ares is spending the week at his Grandparents' house in Cincinnati.  Adam and I will make the trip on Friday to stay the weekend and bring him back home.  I will miss him tons, but am exciting about keeping a clean house for the week (well, if I can get it clean to start!!)

Merry Christmas everyone, and here's to health, family and good times in 2012!

No comments: