Hall of mirrors

This blog is a mixture of our travel adventures and our new family adventures.
The title comes from a dumb blonde high school girl on a tour with us in Versailles who asked this question in every single room of the Palace.
The picture was taken while on our Honeymoon in China, on the Xian river.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Registry Shocker....

Adam and I decided to do our baby registry this week. It's a little early to be doing this, but as he'll be out of town the next two weekends, then it's Thanksgiving weekend, and then we leave for India, this is the only time we can do it before the new year starts. That was the original thought. Now, I realize we registered so soon so that people can start to save their money to buy things.
It's absolutely incredible how expensive things are. My mom, Adam and I were at Babies R Us for 2 1/2 hours looking at different pieces of furniture, toys and swings/bouncers etc. They are all so different, and the prices range from cheap piece of furniture to "they want how much for that?!?!". Anyhow, I am grateful that people were with me, as the first aisle had about 14 different activity mats to choose from. They all were mostly green, with a gadzillion other colors and some random things hanging down. It was at this point that Adam decided he liked monkeys, and everything had to have a monkey on it. OK... Honestly, they are all so similar, I let him pick out most of the toys. Of course, there are about 4,500 little stuffed animals that hang and make noises and have crinkly things in the feet... do we want the zebra, doggie, elephant, monkey, moose, or duck? Who knows?! They all look the same. Adam did a great job of just making decisions and sticking with them. I love having him around.
By the end, I was getting really tired. I ended up turning to my mom (a lot) and asking if we really need this. Most of the time she didn't even really know what it was, so I would assume that would mean it's not necessary. The last 4 aisles I just walked through and let Adam scan what he wanted. I was exhausted and again, so overwhelmed. Did you know you could buy a child's car seat that was only good for 30-50 lbs for over $250?!? Insane! No, I did not register for it. Sorry for those of you who are made of money.
We got back to my parents house, ate lunch/dinner and then went straight home to take a nap, we both did.
After I woke up, I went to the Babies'R US web site, and started to do research on all of the products we registered for. Some had terrible reviews, so I deleted those, and others had some recommendations, so I went with those.
After we had a late dinner, we decided to drive up to Target to register there. It was a good thing we did it the same day, because there were some things that we registered for at Babies R Us (BRU) that were cheaper at Target, and I remembered prices. Even though BRU has a price matching policy, we decided to register the product at Target and remove it from the BRU registry to try and save some money.
We found a nice crib and dresser/changer at BRU, but it's a little pricey, I want to go to Burlington again, just in case there's something there that I like that's a little less expensive. I want a nice sturdy piece of furniture, but if I like something the same, and it's cheaper, we might as well save our parents some money.

OH! And I bought two new pairs of shoes this weekend for India! YAY! That was fun.

21 weeks, 4 days,
3 more weeks of class (2 after tonight!) =)

No comments: